Mechanical Engineering is the strongest area of core engineering that deals with multi-directional activities, direct or indirect, committed to bring out man’s material welfare by transforming available natural resources. The range of products is extended from producing large space craft to small dental implants; from power generation to manufacturing of microchips. Under the Make in India initiative, the Government of India aims to increase the share of the manufacturing sector to 25 per cent by 2022, from 16 per cent, and to create 100 million new jobs in manufacturing sector by 2022.
The Mechanical Engineering Department of KPC is dedicated to provide such industry oriented technical and professional education to the students in this vast area of technology. The major strength of the Department lies in its well versed faculties and well equipped Laboratories and workshops. The faculties of this department always aim at putting an extra effort towards grooming and motivating the students and providing them the knowledge base to solve actual industry oriented problems. Students are given free hand to choose elective papers as well as project works to their likings from a large basket.
The Mechanical Engineering includes studies in Thermal Engineering, Fluid mechanics and machines, Applied Mechanics, Machine Design and Manufacturing. There is a great demand for skilled mechanical engineers in different segments of industry. Their expertise is required in traditional manufacturing industries such as automobile, textile, aviation, shipping, aerospace, power plants and machinery manufacturing. In recent times, the services of expert mechanical engineers have even been sought in fields such as nano technology, bio medical engineering, energy conservation and environmental engineering. There is also great requirement for mechanical consultants who have management skill along with technological proficiency. The primary role of such professionals is to manage both technology and people and firms that provide engineering consultancy require them
Minimum 45% marks in Math + Physical science with minimum 35% marks (aggregate) in 10th Exam.
Valid rank in JEXPO conducting by WBSCTE with minimum 35% marks (aggregate) in 10th Exam.
Intake: 180 Nos.
HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT- SUDIPTA GHOSH
Teaching Area: INDUSTRIAL METALLURGY
Department: MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Publication (if any): “Effect of microstructure and residual stresses on nano-tribological and tensile properties of Al2O3 and SiC reinforced 6061-Al metal matrix composites” in Journal of Composite Materials
To emerge as a leading department per excellence regionally, nationally and globally and produce skilled and competent hardware and software engineers endowed with moral and ethical values committed to build up a vibrant nation.
- To strengthen the core competence through analytical learning and problem solving capability.
- To uplift innovative skill for developing software as per the need of modern industry and government organizations.
- To provide state of the art laboratories for imparting practical training with emphasis on hardware, software and networking
- To increase the scope of employment through collaboration with software industries and professional organizations.
- To develop communication skill and imbibe the spirit of team work.
STRENGTH OF MATERIALS LAB
- Hardness Testing machine
- Impact testing machine
- Friction Apparatus
THERMAL ENGIEERING LAB
- Determination Of Thermal Conductivity Of A Solid Metalic Rod
- Instrument for verification of STEFAN BOLTZMAN’S Law
- Determination of calorific value by using Bomb Calorimeter
- Model of Boiler and their Mountings and Accessories.
FLUID MECHANICS LAB
- Bernoulli’s Theorem Apparatus
- V notch
- Apparatus for measuring frictional loss (minor & major)
- Simple and differential manometer.
- CNC milling machine
- Universal testing machine
- Robotic Arm
ENGINEERING METROLOGY LAB
- Vernier Caliper
- Vernier Height Gauge
- Dial (Liver Type) Indicator With Magnetic Stand
- Sine Bar
- Bevel Protector
- Digital Vernier Caliper
- Dial Vernier Caliper
- Plug Gauge
- Gear Tooth Vernier Caliper
- Profile Projector Verification Of Gear Tooth Profile
- Optical Flat For Flatness Testing
- Screw Thread Micrometer
- Combination Set
- Strain Gauge For Measurement Of Strain
- Rotameter For Measurement Of Flow
REFRIGERATION AND AIR CONDITIONING LAB
- Water Cooler Test Rig
- Domestic Refrigeration Test Rig
- Window Air-Conditioner Test Rig
- Center Lathe
- Power Saw
- Drilling Machine
- Radial Drill
- Pedestal Grinding
- Tool & Cutter Grinder
- Bench Wooden Saw